Thursday 8 October 2020

TECHNIQUE TIME - MAKE YOUR OWN METAL SHEETS


Hello Squashettes!
Gail here today.  That's me, long grey hair, dressed in blue.
Welcome to our first Technique Time here at the Let's Squash It! Challenge.

I love embossing folders.  They are fun, easy to use and give a quick wow! to any project depending on what you emboss.  Metal foil is always a winner but I have found it harder and harder to find, so let's make our own from everyday household products.   

You will need aluminium foil, glue, I find a solid glue stick works well but any of your favourite glues will probably be OK, thin card, an embossing folder and your squash apparatus of choice.   

Apply glue to your card, I'm upcycling an empty tea box, apply foil to card, place it in your embossing folder and run it through your machine.  If you don't have a machine placing it between two heavy hardcover books and doing the embossing dance can give a good result.  Be careful you don't fall off.  You could never explain it to the doctor in A&E!!!!!

Things to remember........  Aluminium foil and foil sheets are easily marked.  Try not to get any creases in the foil and also make sure your glue is evenly applied to your card to avoid unsightly creases and ridges on your finished sheet.  I'm thinking of investing in some extra strong turkey foil next time I go shopping.  If you are using a liquid glue then use as little as possible or it might get messy!  Some solvent base glues, such as UHU can damage the finish on metal and mirror card so I avoid them for this technique. 

I like embossing folders that have some texture on the deboss, like this Sizzix Harlequin Alterations folder.  The rough sections give lovely extra texture when using foil and metal sheets.  And then you just need to cut it down a bit, add a card base, a few embellishments, stamps or a sentiment and turn it into something pretty.  

I added a dark purple card base and Rubber Dance Stamps Little Witch.
I wonder what she is thinking........

I hope you enjoyed today's technique.  Do pop back in on the 10th for our first challenge and if you have any thoughts, questions or tips feel free to add them in the comments.   

Stay safe.  HUGZ

11 comments:

Robyn Oliver said...

Brilliant technique lesson Gail..thanks for starting up the first ever embossing folder challenge..Robyn

ionabunny said...

Thanks Robyn, glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to the first challenge. Only two days to go!!!!!! Hugz

ciloma said...

Great technique. I never would have thought to glue it to heavier stock first.

Dotty Jo said...

Definitely a top tip, tried this myself today and it really helped. Thanks for commenting, Jo x

Tina Z. said...

wow, great challenge and great tips! I totally love it and I would try to join your challenges. thank you so much for this technique post, I like to upcycle and to use our everyday stuff. and I am obsessed with techniques ...

Marianne said...

Fun technique!
Marianne x

ionabunny said...

Thanks Tina, it's always nice to learn or revisit techniques and I love recycling as well. Hugz

ionabunny said...

Thanks Marianne. Hugz

Bunny said...

Another tip for making metal is to swipe Versamark on a piece of card stock and sprinkle it with your favorite metallic color embossing powder. Dry with your heat tool and then emboss with your embossing folder. [Bunny]

ionabunny said...

Hi Bunny, yes that's a great tip, and I didn't mention metallic paints either, which I have used to great effect in the past. Hugz

Mia said...

Thank you so much for the great tutorial, Gail. I will certainly try it. Kisses!