Monday 8 March 2021

Technique Time with Jo - March 2021

 

It's Jo here (the one with the sheep on her shirt), and I'm delighted to be back with a few tips and hints ahead of our next Challenge. 

I thought I'd share a few thoughts about die cutting and embossing.

I always try to remember to die cut FIRST and then emboss, but I've got to be honest it doesn't always work out that way as I get very excited about the embossing part of the creative process!

Luckily, I remembered to cut first when making this pretty pillow box using my Lawn Fawn Pillow Box die and Crafts Too embossing folder.


Look at how beautifully the Bazzils card has taken the embossing. 


Because I can see through the folder I can cut a tag and then position it so as to get the pattern just how I want it.


And now for the finished box and matching tag!


This was quite an easy make because my embossing folder was big enough to cover all of the pillow box die in one go, but what happens if you are working with a smaller folder?

I solved the problem by turning the folder side on and cutting my card so it would go through my Cuttlebug. 


I die cut the pillow box shape and then lined up the edge of the folder pattern with the line through the middle of the box and ran the folder through my Bug.


I moved the folder to emboss the other half of the die cut and this is the result.


I didn't try to match the pattern because when the box is folded and glued it doesn't show!


I tried a similar trick with a little favour box and it worked beautifully. If your embossing lines match your cut/score lines then it looks great.

Doesn't embossing just take everything up a notch with these little favour boxes? I wish I'd known about embossing when I made my wedding favours.

See you soon for a new challenge and a new guest!

11 comments:

Tina Z. said...

Great advice, thank you so much.

I Card Everyone said...

Very good advice, indeed, Jo!! LOve your results, and what a wonderful feminine spot for a little girl-loving gift card!
=]

ionabunny said...

These are gorgeous Jo. Some fab tips and the embossing really does make them look very special. Hugz

HilaryJane said...

Wonderful idea, thanks for all the tips xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Great tips! Pinning! xoxo

Robyn Oliver said...

Brilliant tips Jo, and the pillow box die cuts and then embossed with matching tag looks fabulous, hugs Robyn

KT Fit Kitty said...

Very nice! Useful tips too!

CinnamonSally said...

These are fabulous Jo.

Gail said...

Great tip on embossing! Nice step by step instructions and photos - TFS

Conniecrafter said...

Yes I think it is better to cut first then emboss, love it on your tag too!

Riet Harikini said...

Love the DT makes, all very different in style.